Lawyer for 2 Women Who Say They Were Schneiderman Victims Talked to Michael Cohen
The lawyer for the women filed a letter in the ongoing investigation of Mr. Cohen, seeking to protect records Mr. Cohen may have concerning the women.
A lawyer who said he was working on behalf of two women who claimed that the former New York attorney general, Eric T. Schneiderman, had “sexually victimized” them, asserted on Friday that he had discussed the claims in 2013 with Michael D. Cohen, Donald J. Trump’s longtime lawyer and fixer.
The lawyer for the women, Peter J. Gleason, filed a letter on Friday in the ongoing investigation of Mr. Cohen, seeking an order to protect any records that Mr. Cohen may have concerning the women. As part of that investigation, federal agents raided Mr. Cohen’s office, apartment and hotel room last month.
Mr. Gleason said in an interview that Mr. Cohen had told him that if Mr. Trump were to run for and be elected governor of New York, he would help bring to light the women’s accusations about Mr. Schneiderman. There had been deep animus between Mr. Trump and Mr. Schneiderman ever since Mr. Schneiderman filed a $40 million civil fraud lawsuit against Trump University in August 2013.
Mr. Gleason’s accusations came to light in the letter, filed to Kimba M. Wood, the Manhattan federal judge overseeing the Cohen investigation.
Mr. Gleason also said in the interview, without offering details or corroborating evidence, that he had told elected officials of his concerns about Mr. Schneiderman’s abusive behavior nearly five years ago, but was rebuffed.
Mr. Gleason refused to identify the officials, and said that the women were not among the four who came forward this week in an article in The New Yorker about Mr. Schneiderman’s physical assaults on his former companions.
“The highest levels of our state and city government were well aware of Eric Schneiderman,” he said.
In the letter, Mr. Gleason said that he eventually decided to take his clients’ accusations against Mr. Schneiderman to Steven Dunleavy, a former columnist for The New York Post. According to the letter, Mr. Dunleavy “offered to discuss the matter with Donald Trump.”